Book review: Under the Volcano by Malcom Lowry

Under the VolcanoUnder the Volcano by Malcolm Lowry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

For 300 pages I tried and failed to connect with Lowry's lyricism. I don't know, it just evaded me, like Joyce evades me, like Homer evades me, like much that is canonical evades me. Then, like a 3D image coming into focus, I did make the connection, to a degree, in the last part of the book. I liked Lowry's rails against colonialism and musings on the cosmos and even his mind-melting descriptions of drunkenness in parts, but his warbling, harrowing style?... Not so much.
Glad to be moving on, probably back to Knausgaardian précision...or a book my girlfriend bought me about surfer drug dealers in South East Asia.

View all my reviews

Comments

Blogroll

Popular Posts