GUEST POET: Chris Whitelaw (aka Riddim Metric)


Unapologetic and unfashionably late,
Friday afternoon saunters over
sprawls down and stares
over my shoulder,
staring so far off
I thought it had gone blind.

The Weekend is shamelessly naked
and spread-eagled before me,
as is the Ocean - yet bolder.
She’s big as Day
and like a spoon, always open.
Her unwavering glare
burns like a desert wasteland,
I always blink first.

Collapsed under the Sun
I run down drinks fast.
Salty sweat beads
and runs into rivulets; excited
the Ocean is so close.

Cars go past trailing boats,
bikes go past dinking girls,
couples go past swinging,
their secret handshake between them….
and all catch me
staring Friday and naked.

At least it was natural

I torch cigarettes and sweat.
A dog trundles past, somewhere to be.
I breathe smoke and down drinks.

The Breeze skips carelessly past,
tripping over
the empty pages of my notebook.

Caring finally takes it leave
and mine with it.
Seaside living means never feeling guilty
about a day off, the ninth day,
or losing your job
somewhere.

The Sun has the Ocean hypnotized
and thinking a ravishing isn’t out of the question.
It’s eager glare widens and brightens,
drawn in by the Horizon,
colouring my awareness that this Vista
and all who sail in her
have been forming Opinion
about me.

Music turns up just in time,
drowning Verdict mercilessly
and so I salute the Greenflash
and drink up
to Centrefold Saturday.





Chris Whitelaw is a west Australian poet. For more search Facebook for ‘Riddim Metric’.

Comments

Post a Comment

Blogroll

Popular Posts